(780) 784-6666

Municipal Compliance or Non-Conformance

The standard sale and purchase contract used in Alberta is provided by the Alberta Real Estate Association (AREA).  In that contract, it is stated that the seller is required to provide the buyer with a Real Property Report “showing the current improvements on the property according to the Alberta Land Surveyors’ Association Manual of Standard Practice, with evidence of municipal compliance or non-conformance and confirming the seller’s warranties about the land and buildings.  This obligation will not apply if there are no structures on the land.”.

Confirmation of municipal compliance should be established well in advance of entering into the Purchase and Sale Agreement.  Otherwise, the seller may be making representations and warranties that they cannot fulfill and may therefore be indirectly but unintentionally in breach of the contract.

In the event that such representations are made by the Seller, when indeed municipal compliance or non-conformance has not been obtained at the appropriate time, lawyers will typically discuss and agree to hold-back funds from the seller until the seller has obtained such compliance or non-conformance.  An alternative, where there are compliance issues at the time of closing, would be to obtain a title insurance policy.

What is Compliance? 

Compliance is evidence that your property complies with municipal by-laws and regulations, including evidence that your property does not encroach on to property of another, such as your neighbour’s land or the Municipality’s land.

Obtaining municipal compliance does not mean that the use of the building automatically complies with any covenants or laws, including land-use by-laws, easements, etc.  Municipal compliance simply confirms that the improvements on the land, some of which are discussed above, conform with the bylaws and regulations specific to those improvements and that they have the proper development permits, among other things.

What is Non-Conformance

Non-Conformance simply means that the buildings and structures on the property you are buying or selling did, at one point in time, comply with the municipality’s bylaws and regulations.  However, bylaws and regulations have since changed and, therefore, the property is no longer in compliance.   If this is the case, the improvements on your property may be deemed non-conforming.   Non-conformance is still permitted under the standard real estate purchase and sale contract.

Learn more about real estate law in Alberta, including how to buy or sell a home, by arranging a free introductory consultation with an Edmonton Law Office real estate lawyer.

Need legal help?

Request your free introductory consultation today.

Edmonton Family Lawyers

Edmonton Law Office family lawyers explain how they customize legal strategies to the needs and expectations of the client.
Family Law

Divorce & Separation

Edmonton divorce lawyers explain why commonly held assumptions about divorce and separation are harmful myths that have little to do with reality.
Divorce & Separation

Edmonton Real Estate Lawyers

Looking to buy or sell a home, condo or property? Talk to a real estate lawyer at Edmonton Law Office first.
Real Estate Law

Edmonton Immigration Lawyers

Our team of experienced immigration lawyers is dedicated to helping individuals and families navigate the complex immigration process.
Immigration Law

Civil Litigation Lawyers

Learn why you need a civil litigation lawyer to litigate claims made against you or claims you make against others for financial or physical losses.
Civil Litigation

Wills & Estates Lawyers

Learn how to avoid the most common mistakes people make when it comes to writing a Will or doing any of the other legal steps commonly associated with estate planning and administration in Alberta.
Wills & Estates
Website Design & SEO by: