(780) 784-6666

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) permits travellers to visit Canada or transit through Canada by air.  This authorization is only required by those travellers who are citizens of visa-exempt countries and travel to Canada (or through Canada) by air.

An eTA is not required by citizens of visa-exempt countries if those travellers enter Canada by land or sea. Therefore, although Citizens of visa-exempt countries are not required to obtain a Canadian Visitor Visa or Transit Visa before they travel to or through Canada, they may still be required to obtain an eTA before they travel or transit through Canada.

There is a nominal fee of $7 CAD to obtain an eTA. Contact an immigration lawyer at Edmonton Law Office if you require assistance obtaining this form of authorization. An eTA is generally valid for 5 years or until the expiry of one’s passport, whichever occurs first. It is important to note that travellers who are not residents of countries that fall under the visa-exempt list of countries will require travel visas to enter Canada by any method.

Obtaining an eTA is relatively simple and can be done online. Applicants must provide basic information such as their name, date of birth, passport details, address and contact information. They will also need to answer a few questions about their health and criminal history. Once the application is submitted, applicants will receive an email notification within 72 hours confirming whether or not they have been approved for an eTA. If approved, the eTA will be electronically linked to their passport, and they will be able to travel to Canada.

It is important for travellers to note that an eTA does not guarantee entry into Canada. All travellers must still meet all other requirements for entry into Canada, including having a valid passport and any necessary visas or permits. It is also important to note that an eTA does not replace a Canadian visa, and those who require a visa must still apply for one.

A list of visa-exempt countries can be found on the Government Of Canada website.

**** Note Citizens of the United States of America are not required to obtain a Visa (Visitor or Transit) or an eTA before travelling or transiting through Canada.

Make sure you have all the right documents in order before traveling to Canada. For those visa-exempt countries, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is required to visit or transit through Canada by air.

Need legal help?

Request your free introductory consultation today.

Edmonton Family Lawyers

Edmonton Law Office family lawyers explain how they customize legal strategies to the needs and expectations of the client.
Family Law

Divorce & Separation

Edmonton divorce lawyers explain why commonly held assumptions about divorce and separation are harmful myths that have little to do with reality.
Divorce & Separation

Edmonton Real Estate Lawyers

Looking to buy or sell a home, condo or property? Talk to a real estate lawyer at Edmonton Law Office first.
Real Estate Law

Edmonton Immigration Lawyers

Our team of experienced immigration lawyers is dedicated to helping individuals and families navigate the complex immigration process.
Immigration Law

Civil Litigation Lawyers

Learn why you need a civil litigation lawyer to litigate claims made against you or claims you make against others for financial or physical losses.
Civil Litigation

Wills & Estates Lawyers

Learn how to avoid the most common mistakes people make when it comes to writing a Will or doing any of the other legal steps commonly associated with estate planning and administration in Alberta.
Wills & Estates
Website Design & SEO by: